It should be the goal of every park to provide a place for fond memories. For this reason, Cheaha State Park is proud to present our newest playground. Located at Cheaha’s own 6 acre lake, this multi-station playground was erected to replace the out-dated and antiquated equipment installed in this same location years ago.
In 1933 the Civilian Conservation Corps began construction on Cheaha State Park. Aside from the stone structures on the Mountain’s Top and the two stone pavilions in the park, the only outdoor recreational opportunities at Cheaha were a few trails and the hand-dug Cheaha Lake. In the 1950’s, a playground was erected on the shores of Cheaha Lake to provide entertainment for children that frequented the park with their families. Eventually, over the past 30 years, this equipment began to show its age and wear.
At a cost of over $27,000.00, a new playground was purchased through donations from various persons who love our park, and by those made in memoriam of persons like: Mr. Derek Fell and others. $15,000.00 of those monies used for this equipment’s purchase was made possible by Senator Kim Benefield and the Alabama Department of Economic & Community Affairs (ADECA). Had it not been for persons and agencies such as these this playground would not be here today for our children.
Saturday, October 25, 2008, Cheaha State Park officially opened our new playground with a small ribbon cutting ceremony. Park employees, guests, parents and children, including those from the BSA & Cub Scout Troop 1990 in Douglasville, GA celebrated this occasion. Now open for all of our guests we invite you to bring the kids and have a ball!