Picnic in the Park Day
April 24, 2010
Gulf State Park
Alabama’s Governor Bob Riley has declared April 24, 2010 as Picnic in the Park Day. This family-oriented occasion is a good time to learn more about what your Alabama State Parks have to offer. Please join us at Gulf State Park between 10:00 A.AM. and 3:00 P.M. for a wonderful day filled with relaxation and fun in the sun!
- Gulf State Park Golf Course – Driving Range Special: Are you interested in hitting a few balls at the driving range? Come by the golf course to receive a free bucket of balls (one bucket per person). Clubs will be available.
- Beach Pavilion – Entrance Fee Discount: Want to relax in the sun? Do you enjoy building sand castles? How about a dip in the Gulf? Come by the Beach pavilion. Bring your beach towel, umbrella, and lots of sunscreen! Entrance fees will be waived for Cabin and Campground guests and seniors. Entrance fees will be half price for the public.
- The Pier – All-day Free Sightseeing Pass: Enjoy a walk along the Gulf’s longest saltwater fishing pier. Enjoy the gentle breeze and watching as anglers work for their best catch. An all-day free sightseeing pass will be available to all visitors. This pass will include one free bag of popcorn per person.
- Nature Center – Activities: Have you ever wondered the name of the spring flowers? Do you enjoy spotting migratory birds as they pass by? Do you know what type of animals make their home at the beach? Find the answers to these questions and more at the nature center. Our naturalist will offer guided walks in the park and a Nature Time at the nature center. Check the posted schedule for times and locations.
- Cottages – Open House: After Hurricane Ivan, Gulf State Park built eleven new cottages along the shore of Lake Shelby. One of these cottages will be open to the pubic to view with refreshments (from 10 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.)