Picnic in the Park Day
April 24, 2010
Lake Guntersville State Park
Alabama’s Governor Bob Riley has declared April 24, 2010 as Picnic in the Park Day. This family-oriented occasion is a good time to learn more about what your Alabama State Parks have to offer. The staff and management of Lake Guntersville State Park invite you to visit this paradise of nature and explore the 6,000-acres of woodlands, boat and fish on the 69,000-acre Guntersville Reservoir, and discover what you may have been missing.
Here are some of the exciting things we have in store for you:
- Guided Nature Hike with a Professional Photographer: Start the day off with a 9 a.m. guided nature hike with our park’s naturalist. The hike will follow the Golf Course Trail and begin at the Pro Shop. Our naturalist will guide you along the trail describing the Spring plants and wildflowers while professional photographer Monica Martin provides her expertise on how to shoot the best images. This is an opportunity you will not want to miss and is free to the public!
- Discounted Rates on Flat Bottom Fishing Boats and Canoes! The Town Creek Fishing Center, located on Highway 227 in the park, is dropping the gas fee and charging reduced rates on all canoes and flat bottom fishing boats all day!
- Dine in or order a picnic lunch to go from our Pinecrest Dining Room: Our Pinecrest Dining Room is serving up a breakfast, lunch, and dinner buffet as well as menu orders for those who wish to dine-in. Those choosing to truly Picnic in the Park will enjoy our special picnic lunch that includes pulled BBQ pork, baked beans, cole slaw, and rolls. Prices vary based on orders for 10 people, 15, 20 or more. Orders must be placed at least 3 days in advance by calling 256-505-6601.
- Afternoon Guided Nature Hike: Our park’s naturalist will lead a 2 p.m. nature hike along one of our 31-miles of trails. Location to be determined.
- View the Park’s Unique Accommodations! “Showrooms” will be open all day to include our newly renovated bluffside hotel rooms. Walk around the Lodge and view the meeting and banquet spaces and see the many amenities offered to guests of the Lodge.
- Free Refreshments! The Lodge will provide free refreshments throughout the day of homemade cookies, coffee, and lemonade.
- Register to Win a Free Vacation! A registration box will be in the lobby of the Lodge for guests to register to win overnight accommodations for a 2-night stay in a bluffside hotel room with 2 queen beds and a view of the 69,000-acre Guntersville Reservoir, a $237 value!!
We look forward to seeing you at Lake Guntersville State Park April 24, 2010!!