DeSoto State Park's Civilian Conservation Corps Museum Dedication
Join DeSoto State Park staff for our latest new endeavor!
Friday, April 19, 2013-1:00 p.m. (Rescheduled from March 2013)
DeSoto’s CCC Museum was made possible with a $10,000 tourism grant in late 2011. Since then work has been ongoing; renovating the historic building, performing research, and preparing interpretive materials.
DeSoto State Park was developed by the Civilian Conservation Corps in the mid 1930s to early 1940s, and was known as State Park #5. In November 1933 a CCC camp was built in the town of Fort Payne and in early 1934 work was started above Fort Payne on Lookout Mountain. The CCC boys then built roads, trails, culverts, a 9-hole golf course, and stone and wood structures such as picnic pavilions, barbeque pits, cabins, and a group lodge.
The museum is located in the “Contact Station” located at the original entrance to DeSoto State Park on Country Road 618.
Many original structures built by the CCC can still be seen today.
Directions to Museum:
From DeSoto State Park’s Lodge- Take County Road 89 North towards DSP’s Country Store. Take a left just past the Country Store onto County Road 618. Follow road 1.8 miles until you see museum on the left.
After the dedication the museum will be open on weekends and by appointment
For information and a sneak peek of the museum see DeSoto State Park’s Blog at www.civilianconservationcorpsindsp.blogspot.com or contact Brittney Hughes at Brittney.Hughes@dcnr.alabama.gov
CCC Museum Dedication Flier (PDF)
CCC Museum Dedication Press Release (PDF)