|Paul M. Grist|
|Specials & Packages|
|Call 1-800-ALAPARK (1-800-252-7275)|
|Find A Park||What to Do||Where to Stay||Meeting Facilities||Plan Your Visit|
|Home > Press Room|
View print version
Emergency Regulation Signed on Use of Net Fishing
April 12, 2007
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT: David Dean, 334-242-3165
Commissioner Barnett Lawley signed an emergency regulation today – Rule 220-3-.03-.155ER – dealing with the use of gill and certain other nets in
This emergency action was taken in order to maximize fishing opportunities for various user groups fishing for Spanish mackerel.
The regulation goes into effect on Thursday, April 12, 2007, and does the following:
1. Sets a minimum mesh size of 1-3/4 inches knot to knot for Spanish mackerel harvest, with a 10 percent bycatch allowance for netters using mesh size less than 1-3/4 inches knot to knot.
2. Prohibits use or possession of gill nets in the Gulf waters of
3. Generally (except as otherwise provided) prohibits use or possession of nets in the Gulf waters of
4. Closes the Gulf waters to netting from July 3, 2007 until July 9, 2007 and similar time periods in future years.
5. Generally applies to gill nets, trammel nets, other entangling nets, seines, and haul seines.