PICNIC IN THE PARK DAY
April 24, 2010
Alabama’s Governor Bob Riley has signed a proclamation making April 24 “Picnic in the Park Day”. Visit an Alabama State Parks on this day for an open house. This family-oriented occasion is a good time to learn more about what your Alabama State Parks have to offer. So bring along a picnic to enjoy with your family and spend a day in the Park!
Here are some of the exciting things we have in store for you on “Picnic in the Park Day”:
CATHEDRAL CAVERNS STATE PARK http://www.alapark.com/CathedralCaverns/
- Free “Friends of the Cave” passes to the first ten adults on each of the seven scheduled tours on April 24, 2010.
CHEAHA STATE PARK http://www.alapark.com/CheahaResort/
- Self Tours 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Gate attendant will provide directions to each site available, trail maps and also hand out coupons for the picnic special at the Cheaha Mountain Restaurant.
- At the CCC Observation Tower a historical information flyer will be available to all guests.
- Guests can register at the gate for a free night of camping (Sun-Thurs). Two winners will be drawn.
CHEWACLA STATE PARK http://www.alapark.com/Chewacla/
- Free park entrance for ages 1 thru 18, and ages 62 and older.
DESOTO STATE PARK AND LODGE http://www.alapark.com/DeSotoResort/
- DeSoto State Park Campground “Open House”.
- DeSoto State Park Lodge "Open House".
- DeSoto State Park's Mountain Inn Restaurant.
- Be sure to check out the local sites such as Howard's Chapel, DeSoto Falls, Little River Canyon, and much more.
- For more details on DeSoto Park’s “Picnic in the Park” activities visit: http://www.alapark.com/events/details.cfm?id=1077
FLORALA STATE PARK http://www.alapark.com/Florala/
- The walking trail will be open.
FRANK JACKSON STATE PARK http://www.alapark.com/FrankJackson/
- Free park entrance.
- Free boat launch.
- Tours of hiking trails.
- Light refreshments will be provided to guests.
GULF STATE PARK http://www.alapark.com/GulfState/
- Gulf State Park Golf Course – Driving Range Special.
- Beach Pavilion – Entrance Fee Discount.
- The Pier – All-day Free Sightseeing Pass.
- Nature Center – Activities.
- Cottages – Open House
- For more details on Gulf Park’s “Picnic in the Park” activities visit: http://www.alapark.com/events/details.cfm?id=1089
LAKE GUNTERSVILLE STATE PARK AND LODGE http://www.alapark.com/LakeGuntersville/
- Guided Nature Hike with a Professional Photographer.
- Discounted Rates on Flat Bottom Fishing Boats and Canoes!
- Dine in or order a picnic lunch to go from our Pinecrest Dining Room.
- Afternoon Guided Nature Hike.
- View the Park’s Unique Accommodations!
- Free Refreshments!
- Register to Win a Free Vacation!
- For more details on Lake Guntersville Park’s “Picnic in the Park” activities visit: http://www.alapark.com/events/details.cfm?id=1090
LAKE LURLEEN STATE PARK http://www.alapark.com/LakeLurleen/
- Free park entrance to children 11 years old and younger.
- Adults: pay one entrance fee and get one free.
- Discount canoe and peddle boat rentals, $2 off.
- A drawing for two nights free camping on a basic site (Sun-Thurs) -no holiday or football weekends.
LAKEPOINT RESORT STATE PARK http://www.alapark.com/LakePointResort/
- Light refreshments throughout the day in the Lodge lobby and Marina.
- Volunteers on hand to give tours of available facilities.
- Due to all facilities being reserved a slide show will be available to show lodge rooms, cabins and cottages.
- Register in Lodge lobby and Marina for a weekend getaway and drawings for Lakepoint hats and T-shirts.
MEAHER STATE PARK http://www.alapark.com/Meaher/
- Free admission for the day.
- Park staff available throughout the park to answer questions.
MONTE SANO STATE PARK http://www.alapark.com/MonteSano/
- A cabin will be open for tours.
- Entrance fee will be reduced to $1 for everyone.
- Campground will be open for tours.
- Self guided history hike of park.
OAK MOUNTAIN STATE PARK http://www.alapark.com/OakMountain/
- The Interpretive Center and Wildlife Center will be open for tours. The Wildlife Center will provide light refreshments.
- Golf pro-shop will be open for tours and information of the course. A drawing will be held for a free round of golf.
- The campground will be open for tours. Hot dogs, coke and chips will be available at the campground pavilion from 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. A drawing will be held for a free night of camping.
- Light refreshments will be available at the park office and a drawing will be held for a free night in a cabin.
- A drawing will be held at the marina for a free one hour boat rental.
PAUL M. GRIST STATE PARK http://www.alapark.com/PaulMGrist/
- Boat rentals will be discounted to half price.
- A drawing will be held for two free nights of camping, based on availability.
RICKWOOD CAVERNS STATE PARK http://www.alapark.com/RickwoodCaverns/
- Cave tours will be discounted by $2 for the day.
ROLAND COOPER STATE PARK http://www.alapark.com/RolandCooper/
- Jon boat rentals will be discounted to half price.
- Encourage everyone to come out and fish from the bank, or ride bikes or walk through our park
- Tour of available park cabins.
JOE WHEELER STATE PARK AND LODGE http://www.alapark.com/JoeWheeler/
- One of our newly renovated lodge rooms will be open to the public for viewing.
- Discounts on pontoon boat rentals and free pedal boat rentals.
- Discount on river cruises.
- Food and Ice Cream for sale.
- Live singing.
- Volleyball and horseshoes.
- Sidewalk chalk for kids.
- A sailboat and sailing demonstration.
- A drawing for a free stay at the lodge or a cottage.
- Nature hike.
WIND CREEK STATE PARK http://www.alapark.com/WindCreek/
- Cabin # 3 will be open to public, 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- Entry fee/boat launch fee discounted to $3 per vehicle.
- Reserve for Winter Specials camping/cabin rates. Nov. 1, 2010 – Jan 28, 2011 (Sun-Thurs):
Cabins reserve 2 nights get 1 night free; Camping reserve 3 nights get 1 night free.
- A drawing from all winter reservations for a $50 gift card.
We look forward to seeing you at an Alabama State Park April 24, 2010!!