Dog Friendly Accommodations
There is a charge of $15/$20 per dog, per night(Gulf State Park requires $150 non-refundable deposit). We understand that with today's traveling expenses the difference in taking a vacation or staying home could be taking your dog, boarding your dog or finding someone to take care of this member of your family. We hope the following information will help your family better enjoy Alabama State Parks. Dogs assisting the disabled are welcome in all facilities at no additional charge (with proper disability assistance information).
During the Alabama State Parks 75th anniversary, parks staff have implemented a series of improvements aimed at providing visitors with more enjoyable experiences. The expanded dog-friendly accommodations are in response to public interest in more pet-friendly options. To ensure your visit with us is fun for the whole family please check with the park you plan to visit for park specific information on dogs. In addition to dogs being allowed in all campgrounds, the following parks have additional dog friendly cabins:
- Chewacla State Park (Cabins)
- Cheaha State Park (Chalets and cabins)
- DeSoto State Park (Chalets and cabins)
- Gulf State Park (Cottages and cabins)
- Lake Guntersville State Park (Cottages, chalets and lodge rooms)
- Lakepoint Resort State Park (Cabins and lodge rooms)
- Monte Sano State Park (Cabins)
- Oak Mountain State Park (Cabins)
- Roland Cooper State Park (Cabins)
- Joe Wheeler State Park (Cottages, cabins, and lodge rooms)
- Wind Creek State Park (Cabins)
- Dogs are not allowed in non-dog friendly cabins. Please reserve the Dog Friendly Cabins. The clerk must be notified upon check in of the number of dogs staying.
- Guest must have current credit card on file to serve as deposit on any damages – guest will be notified if any damages occur.
- Park management reserves the right to prohibit any dog on premises. Any dog that is intimidating, destructive, dangerous or noisy will not be allowed to remain in the park. If evicted, the dog owner will be responsible for the full amount of the reservation.
- Dogs are permitted in designated day use areas and dog friendly facilities if on a leash and attended at all times (dogs may not be left unattended at any time in the cabin unless in pet carrier or crated). Dogs are not allowed in any other building, at the beach or swimming pool.
- Dog owners are required to clean up after pets and are responsible for their actions.
- Dogs must be current with all vaccinations and have tags or documentation.
- Dog owners are responsible for any and all damages. Extra charges for damage or full cleaning may apply.
- Maintenance or staff will not enter cabin unless dog is leashed or confined.
- Stakes have been provided outside each cabin or chalet. This will enable your dog to be tied down while outside with the family.
- Other policies may be applicable depending upon Park amenities.
Frequently Asked Questions about Dogs in Alabama State Parks
- Are dogs allowed in cabins, cottages, chalets, hotel rooms or group lodges? Only in the "Dog Friendly" cabins or chalets (unless dog is assisting the disabled). These dog friendly cabins or chalets have been selected to ensure your visit with your dog will be comfortable for all. Kennels are not provided. Management will terminate the dog owner’s stay if found in violation of this rule. The owner will not be refunded for any part of their stay. A cleaning fee will be enforced upon check out.
- Do you charge a dog fee per dog? Yes, in the cabins, chalets and cottages that are dog friendly, $15/$20 per night(Gulf State Park requires a $150 non-refundable deposit). Please request this rate when making reservations and report the number of dogs when checking in. Owners not reporting dogs will be charge the fee and this amount will be collected at check out. The fee is charged if the dog visits for the day or stays overnight.
- Are dogs allowed in campgrounds? Yes. Dogs are allowed in tents/campers with owner. Dog owners are required to clean up after their dog. Dogs may not be left unattended at any time and must be on a 6-foot leash or in a crate. The guest is responsible for any damage caused by dog and may also be asked to leave if dog disturbs other guests. The owner will not be refunded for any part of their reservation. Guest is responsible for ensuring their dog has the most current vaccinations. Guest may be requested to present proof of vaccination.
- Are dogs allowed in Country store, restaurants or any food service areas? No.
- Are dogs allowed in the bathhouse, pool or in swimming areas? No.
- Are dogs allowed on the trails? Yes, in most parks as long as you keep your dog with you and on a leash. Please check with each park for specific information as bike and horseback riding trails may not allow dogs for safety reasons.
- Can my dog ride on the back of my truck, top of my car or be left in my car or tied to railing or tree unattended or without a leash? No. Dogs must be in a secure riding area and the owner must be near the dog at all times. Dogs left unattended for more than 30 minuets (or in a hot vehicle) may be confiscated by park staff and turned over to proper authorities.
- If my dog disturbs other guests or presents a risk to other guests what will happen? Park management has the right request any dog and owner to leave.