The Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (ADCNR) has reinstated additional fire precautions for all Alabama State Parks due to extended dry conditions. Visitors and overnight guests are being asked to take extra precautions with campfires and barbecue grills.
The Alabama Forestry Commission issued a statewide Fire Alert on October 24, 2023. The Fire Alert will remain in effect until rescinded by the State Forester.
The additional Alabama State Parks fire precautions include the following
- No campfires outside of designated day-use picnic areas, campgrounds or developed recreational areas.
- Barbecue grills and gas-fueled stoves are permitted only in designated day-use picnic areas, campgrounds or developed recreational areas.
- Do not use barbecue grills or gas stoves in areas that can scorch, burn or damage lawns or picnic tables.
- Place barbecue grills a minimum of 15 feet away from any flammable material such as grass, weeds, wood chips, brush or park facilities.
- Do not leave a campfire or grill unattended.
- Completely extinguish all burning fuel such as wood or charcoal before disposing of it in an existing fireplace, fire pit or barbecue grill.