Joe Wheeler State Park Boat Ramp on First Creek
- Open: We encourage users to practice social distancing of at least 6ft.
Your Fishing Headquarters For Wheeler And Wilson Lakes
Whether you are a Bass Pro or a bank fisherman Wheeler Lake and Joe Wheeler State Park have a lot to offer you. The park has excellent facilities for tournaments and many areas for fisherman to access the water.
The lake around the park is close to the dam with deep water and rock bluffs. Smallmouth inhabit these waters and can be the highlight of your trip. First Creek and Second Creek offer excellent largemouth fishing as well as catfish, crappie, bream and stripe. The Decatur "flats" are known for big largemouth and milfoil is abundant and is similar to the type of fishing found on Guntersville Lake. Adjacent to the state park's cabins are the tailwaters of Wheeler Dam. Anglers from all over the country come here to sample the variety of fishing found below the dam. Smallmouth congregate here in the oxygen rich water, this is where a former world record smallmouth was caught. Cabin guests can regularly be seen cleaning coolers full of catfish they caught on their trips below the dam.
Three types of striped bass inhabit these waters: white bass, hybrid striped bass and saltwater stripe or "rock fish". Crappie are a big draw in the spring if anglers know the right spots. Bream are popular with the bank fisherman and can be caught in many locations around the park.
- 1st Creek Boat Ramp - $3.00 boat ramp usage fee. Large Boat ramp that can accommodate 4 bass boats at once. Large 150 space parking lot. Bathroom and Security lights for nighttime launching.
- 2nd Creek Boat Ramp - Access second creek at the medium sized ramp, with security lights for nighttime launching.
- Cabin Area Boat Ramp - Convenient boat ramp for cabin guests.
- TVA, Wheeler Dam Boat Ramp - Large Boat ramp that can accommodate 2 bass boats at once. Large spacious parking lot with bathroom and security lights for nighttime launching. TVA operated boat ramp.
- Elk River Group Lodge - Convenient boat ramp for guests of Elk River Group Lodge.
- Rooms with a lake view
- Meeting Rooms
- Transient Slips
- Golf Course
- For more information or Reservations 1-800-544-5639
- Brick and Frame Cabin available
- For more information or Reservations 256-685-2656
- These ten lakeside cottages are located in the mouth of First Creek, have two or three bedrooms.
- For more information or Reservations Please Call 256-247-5461 or 1-800-544-5639
- 116 Campsites, most with full hook-ups
- For more information or Reservations 256-247-1184
Elk River Group Lodge
- Group Lodge for up to 30 people
- Large kitchen and living room
- For More Information or Reservations Call 256-247-5466
For more information about fishing in the freshwaters of Alabama, including license and regulations, go to the Official Alabama Fishing Web Page.