Gulf State Park Pier is Currently Closed for Renovations
For public safety and in an effort to hasten the pier renovations, the pier parking lot, access to the beach (at the pier), and the pier restrooms will be closed until the pier reopens in Mid-July. Please park and access the beach at Gulf State Park Beach Pavilion.
April 14, 2020: Pier Renovation Project
Gulf State Park is excited to announce that our iconic fishing pier will undergo a major renovation project that includes replacing the wooden decking and handrails, creating a new accessible observation deck, and installing new turtle-friendly lighting! This renovation is being funded by a federal grant through the Natural Resource Damage Assessment program of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. The pier will close on May 11, 2020 and is targeted to reopen in mid-July. During the closure, we will provide progress updates on our website and social media channels: Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. Please review the document below for additional information.
Offering features such as covered seating for the concession area, indoor tackle and souvenir retail, comfort stations at the midpoint of the pier, and wheelchair accessible rail fishing, the Gulf State Park Pier boasts features unavailable on the old pier which was destroyed in 2004 by Hurricane Ivan. At 1,540 feet, the new pier is the second longest pier on the Gulf of Mexico and has 2,448 feet of fishing space, not to mention a fish cleaning station. The Pier and facilities are ADA Accessible.
Gulf State Park Pier offers a great fishing experience for any angler, beginner or seasoned. A variety of species can be caught from the Pier depending on the time of year: Sheepshead, Red Drum, Spanish Mackerel, Flounder, Florida Pompano, Cobia, King Mackerel, and more!
Please refer to Creel and Size Limits that apply to saltwater fishing.
This fee does not include an Alabama saltwater and/or pier fishing license which can be purchased online. There is a courtesy computer located in the Bait & Tackle shop that you are able to use to purchase a license online.
- Daily: $9.00
- Weekly: $41.00
- Monthly: $81.00
- Semiannual: $161.00
- Annual: $321.00
Rod & Reel Rentals
- 4 Hours: $10.00
- All Day: $20.00
- All day: $3.00
- One trip: $3.00
Children under the age 11 and under fish for free when accompanied by a paying adult.
Bait and Tackle Shop
Current Hours: Monday - Sunday: 5:00 AM to 10:00 PM
Our shop offers a wide range of supplies that you may need for a successful fishing trip. We have frozen bait stocked, tackle gear in assorted materials and sizes, ice for coolers, souvenirs, and more! You can also access the courtesy computer here in order to purchase a fishing license online.
Veteran's get free sightseeing, discounted fishing permits ($6.00 daily pass), and specials throughout the year. The Veterans Sponsorship program is fund based. Contributions to the fund can be made by anyone for any amount at the Gulf State Park Fishing and Education Pier. Proceeds from Memorial Wall plaques are also contributed to the Veteran's Sponsorship program. For more information, contact the Pier Manager at (251) 967-FISH or via email.
Pier Rules & Regulation
1. Limit 6 rods per Fisherman (additional rods $3.50 each)
2. One fishing rod in use at a time
3. Single line trolley fishing permitted (2 line prohibited)
4. Bottom fishing up-wind/up current
5. Float fishing down-wind/down-current
6. Catch must be placed in container within 10 minutes
7. No bait cutting on benches, tables, hand rails, or trash cans
8. Underhand casting only of Sabiki style bait rigs
9. No more than 5 hooks per Sabiki style rig
10. Trash and bait must be discarded appropriately
11. One crab ring per Fisherman (may not leave unattended, crabbing and fishing at the same time is prohibited)
12. Keep bait and tackle off benches and trashcans
13. Walking fish to the beach is prohibited
14. Permit, license, and identification required
15. Children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult
16. Good conduct and sportsmanship required
17. No more than 10 blue-runners/hard tails per Fisherman
18. All coolers and containers are subject to inspection without notice by Enforcement Officers
19. No open carry of firearms, only concealed firearms are allowed with permit
20. Alabama Administrative Code 220-5-.13(2) – Failure to comply with reasonable conditions of occupancy and use of Alabama State Park facilities as prescribed and posted by the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, for the protection and administration of State Park facilities and resources and the promotion of public health, welfare, safety or conveniences shall be unlawful.
If you should have any questions or concerns please address them by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call our park Headquarters at 251-948-7275.
Pier House phone number is 251-967-3474. Dial 911 for all emergencies.
Gulf State Park is home to many types of wildlife, including alligators. Please be aware at all times. For detailed information, please see our Wildlife Safety recommendations.