Pier Closed for Renovations
Update on Gulf State Park Pier 11/13/2023
Attention, Gulf State Park visitors! Starting Monday, November 13, we'll begin the long-awaited renovation of the Gulf State Park Pier. This vital project is necessary to repair the damage sustained during Hurricane Sally in 2020. During this renovation, we'll be rebuilding the 200-foot section that collapsed during Hurricane Sally. The closing includes the pier, parking lot, bathrooms, and the beach accesses (located at the pier) until work is completed.
The pier is anticipated to reopen in the summer of 2024. During the closure, anglers are encouraged to check out other fishing locations along Alabama’s Gulf Coast including Gulf State Park’s Alabama Point, Romar Beach and Cotton Bayou (wheelchair accessible), and the Steve McMillan Fishing Pier and Boat Ramp at Fort Morgan.
We appreciate your understanding and patience during this period. We can't wait to reopen the Gulf State Park Pier for all to enjoy! Stay tuned for further updates and progress reports.
For more information, visit Outdoor Alabama
Parking Pay Stations (Kiosks) are in place at the Gulf State Park Fishing and Education Pier and the Beach Pavilion in Gulf Shores and at the public beach accesses in Orange Beach - Romar Beach, Cotton Bayou, Alabama Point and Shell Beach. These Kiosks will accept cash and credit cards, however, they do not issue change.
Daily Parking Rates:
$10.00 - All day for personal vehicle
$15.00 - All day for passenger vans
$30.00 - All day for vehicles with trailer, buses or large RVs
Annual Parking Decal Rates:
Annual Parking Decal
- $100.00 per decal
- Available for purchase at Park Headquarters and Visitor Center
- Valid for one calendar year (January 1 - December 31)
Orange Beach Resident Parking Decal
- Free with valid driver's license displaying Orange Beach address
- Available at Orange Beach City Hall in accordance to Orange Beach Policy
- Valid for one calendar year (January 1 - December 31)
Veterans Parking Decal
- Free with valid ID and verification of service
- Available at Park Headquarters and Visitor Center
- Decal does not expire
Daily anglers who pay the $10.00 daily parking fee will also receive one daily pier fishing permit included with their parking. The paid parking terminal will dispense one receipt with instructions that the bottom half of the receipt is to be torn off and presented to the attendant at the pier admission window, and the other portion of the receipt is to be placed in plain view on the vehicle dash board. The angler presenting the paid parking receipt to the attendant will be permitted to fish all day at no additional cost. Other anglers in the vehicle will be required to purchase a daily pier fishing permit.
Anglers who have purchased an annual, semi-annual fishing, monthly or weekly permit at the pier will be issued a decal that is to be affixed to the inside right of the vehicle windshield and a placard will be issued to these permit holders indicating the expiration date of the permit. This placard is also to be displayed in plain view on the vehicle dashboard. Permit holders will need to present their permit cards to the attendant at the pier admission window for entrance to the pier for fishing. The decal affixed to the windshield will allow the Permit holders to gain free parking at all the Gulf State Park beach locations.
Beach goers and Pier sightseers, will be required to pay to park at the pier with an option of fees listed above.
Before heading out to the beach, put the printed pass or receipt on the dashboard of your car. Annual and Veteran parking decals must be permanently affixed to the front driver's side corner of the windshield so parking enforcement can easily identify relevant information.
- Daily: $9.00
- Weekly: $41.00
- Monthly: $81.00
- Semiannual: $161.00
- Annual: $321.00
Rod & Reel Rentals
- 4 Hours: $10.00
- All Day: $20.00
- All day: $2.00
Children 11 years old and under fish for free when accompanied by a paying adult.
Gulf State Park Pier offers a great fishing experience for any angler, beginner or seasoned. A variety of species can be caught from the Pier depending on the time of year: Sheepshead, Red Drum, Spanish Mackerel, Flounder, Florida Pompano, King Mackerel, Whiting and more!
Please refer to Creel and Size Limits that apply to saltwater fishing.
Angler Academy is the Gulf State Park’s beginners guide to becoming a saltwater fisherman! Come learn about all the tools and rules of saltwater fishing before casting out into the Gulf of Mexico off the Gulf State Park pier! No matter if this is your very first time, or your thousandth time, with the basic concepts and techniques, even first timers can become pros! (As long as the fish are biting..)
Veteran's get free sightseeing, discounted fishing permits ($6.00 daily pass), and specials throughout the year. The Veterans Sponsorship program is fund based. Contributions to the fund can be made by anyone for any amount at the Gulf State Park Fishing and Education Pier. Proceeds from Memorial Wall plaques are also contributed to the Veteran's Sponsorship program. For more information, contact the Pier Manager at (251) 967-FISH or email email@example.com.
Pier Rules & Regulations
1. Good conduct and sportsmanship at all times.
2. NO profanity.
3. ONE (1) rod in the water at a time per fisherman; rods may not be left unattended.
4. Single line trolley fishing permitted (2 line prohibited); Trolley fishing on the octagon is prohibited. Trolleys may not be left unattended.
5. Catch must be placed in container within 10 minutes.
6. No bait cutting on benches, tables, hand rails, or trash cans.
7. No more than 6 hooks per Sabiki style bait rigs.
8. Underhand casting only of Sabiki style bait rigs
9. Balloon rigs must be bio-degradable.
10. No littering: trash, bait, and smoking materials must be discarded appropriately.
11. One crab ring per fisherman (may not leave unattended, crabbing and fishing at the same time is prohibited).
12. Keep bait and tackle off of benches and trash cans.
13. Feeding birds and other wildlife is strictly prohibited.
14. Pier permit/entrance fee, Alabama saltwater fishing license, and identification is required.
15. Children under 14 years of age must be accompanied by an adult.
16. All coolers and containers are subject to inspection without notice by enforcement.
17. Alabama Administrative Code 220-5-.13(2) – Failure to comply with reasonable conditions of occupancy and use of Alabama State Park facilities as prescribed and posted by the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, for the protection and administration of State Park facilities and resources and the promotion of public health, welfare, safety or conveniences shall be unlawful.
If you should have any questions or concerns please address them by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call our park Headquarters at 251-948-7275.
Pier House phone number is 251-967-3474. Dial 911 for all emergencies.
Gulf State Park is home to many types of wildlife, including alligators. Please be aware at all times. For detailed information, please see our Wildlife Safety recommendations.