Primitive Camping Cabin
Looking for a down to Earth, rustic atmosphere? Looking forward to not having to set up a tent for your family? Our primitive camping cabin offers an opportunity to stay in the Great Outdoors with more than just a tent wall to protect you from the elements. This cabin is located in DeSoto State Park’s quiet and peaceful Primitive Campground. The cabin is situated facing the forest; during the winter views of Lookout Mountain can be seen thru the trees.
About the cabin: Through the Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF) through ADECA and the National Park Service, DeSoto State Park was awarded a grant in 2013 to build a cabin that would provide a primitive camping experience to any adventurous family or guests.
- The camping cabin sleeps up to 5 people and is outfitted with a bunk bed with an upper twin, a lower full, and a trundle twin bed. There is also a twin daybed.
- You will need to bring your own linens or sleeping bags.
- There is a dining table and benches, living area chairs, and rockers on the porch, as well as a food preparation area with sink/basin. (Please no pets & no smoking.)
- The camping cabin does NOT have electricity, heat, or water. The cabin does have lights from a solar kit on the roof.
- For a water source, a community water spigot is located near the vaulted toilet several yards away. You will be given access at registration to the improved campground's comfort stations for showers & flush toilets.
- The primitive area is secured by a padlocked gate; a key to the Camping Cabin and the Primitive Campground gate will be issued at time of check-in.
- Turn in the issued key in at the Country Store on check-out; after hours use the key drop box outside the Country Store door.
RATES VARY DEPENDING ON SEASON AND HOLIDAYS. CALL 256-845-5075
- A deposit of one-night's rent plus resort and transaction fees are required to hold a reservation. 13% Lodging Tax and 4% Resort Fee applied to each night. One-time convenience fee for all overnight accommodations- $5.00 (non-refundable). All rates are subject to change without notice.
- Cancellation of a reservation has to be within 72 hours of arrival.
- Check in time is 2:00 PM on the day of arrival and check out time is 11:00 AM the day of departure.
- We recommend that reservations for holiday weekends should be made at least 3 months in advance.
- Please note, cell service may be spotty through-out the park, and wifi does not reach to the primitive campground.
Rules and regulations
To help us keep the overnight rates low, we ask you to perform a few housekeeping tasks before you leave:
• Pack out all you packed in - do not leave any food or equipment
• Take all trash with you
• Empty any water out of the basin
• Sweep out the cabin
• Close and lock all windows
• LOCK THE DOORS BEHIND YOU
- For more information or to make a reservation by phone, please call the Country Store at 1-800-760-4089 or 1-800-ALAPARK.
- On arrival in DeSoto State Park, check in at DeSoto's Country Store & Information Center
- Country Store Hours: Open Thursday- Monday: 9:00 am -4:00 pm (CST). Closed Tuesday and Wednesday.
- For camping check-in after hours and when the Country Store is closed, stop by DeSoto State Park's Lodge or call 256.845.0051 for assistance.
When traveling to the park, please be advised that GPS directions are NOT reliable (especially when pulling a large rig). Please see our written driving directions on the webpage Plan Your Trip.
FREE WiFi Hotspots
*Campground Comfort Stations
* Lodge Lobby
* Motel Rooms
* Park Office
* Country Store
Please note, cell service may be spotty through-out the park, and wifi does not reach to the primitive campground.